These small bundles of Californian White Sage are used to cleanse a space, or yourself - clearing negative energies. This is an ancient Shamanic ritual that has become a popular method for cleansing, right across the world.
This Sage is approximately 110mm to 150mm in length.
How to Perform a Sage Cleansing:
- Buy a sage smudge stick and find a bowl to hold it over (traditionally, abalone shell is used). Also you may like to set up a cup of water to extinguish it after you have finished, although you can let it go our on its own.
- Open every door and window in your house if you choose.
- Light the stick, and when it catches fire, blow it out and allow the embers to start to smoke (like you would light incense). You can use a feather smudging fan to increase the smoke and direct it.
- Say a prayer of cleansing. Something like: “Please bless and cleanse this room of all negative energies, so mote it be.”
- Walk around the room, waving the sage stick so its smoke drifts into all corners, along walls, around windows, and along ceiling lines. As you do, imagine the smoke absorbing negativity, problems from those who were in the space before you, toxicity, and anything else you want to go away. See the smoke dissipating and floating out the windows, and imagine that bad energy flowing out of your space, making room for positive, fresh energy.
- After you’ve blessed every room, you may enjoy giving yourself a sage shower. Simply cup your hands over the smoke and “wash” your face with it, then wave it all over your body as you would in a water shower. Visualize any residual negativity sailing out of your body, out of your home, being transformed and transmuted back to Source to be purified.
- Extinguish the stick in the cup of water, or let it go out on its own - or, if the smudge is finished, you can bury it in your back yard (if you are very sure that it is extinguished).
- This should clear away all of the negative energies, anxiety, and stress of the past, and leave you with a wonderful, clear, positive, and re-vitalised environment to feel at peace in.